Sunday, June 7, 2015

2nd Chance 600k: Game on

Last post I said I was not likely going to Paris this year, 2015.  "I didn't finish the 600k qualifier," I said, and "it's not likely I will get a 600k done in time.  There are too many other things in my schedule."

Well, what a difference a week makes.

Further consideration of all the factors involved, as well as some discussions with experienced riders had initially led me to be pretty comfortable with the idea that the ride I've been working toward for 15 months wouldn't be happening this August as expected.

Yet, I kept getting people encouraging me to give it another think.  And one thought I  had was that I needed to remove all external factors from my decision.  No blaming it on "the schedule" if it could be re-arranged.   If I was going to decide not to go, then it was going to be MY decision and I'd take full responsibility for it.  My head was swimming with pro and con lists, reflections on my late night decision and visualizations of how I'd feel if I went -- or if I didn't go.

I had a great conversation with another experienced rider, Susan Otcenas.  She pointed out that I needed to be a better manager of my time and my energy.  Not start too fast, and keep the controls short.  And speaking of short, get some new shorts.  There are always new things to do and try.

There were a couple of other things that influenced my decision to move forward.  One was that I had been thinking "Well, if I don't go to Paris in 2015, there's always 2019."  Then yesterday, we heard the sad news that one of our friends in Eugene had unexpectedly passed away on the operating table.  This reminded me of my own mortality and that the future is uncertain.

Second, my 1st grade Sunday School kids had been asking for Spongebob Squarepants (we watch short Bible Story videos every week). Well, I got a Spongebob DVD and found one cartoon that was suitable for Sunday School. The topice was awards and trophies.  And the verse I found for it was James 1:12: Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.  Perseverance is the watchword of Rando riding and I will need to keep that word in front of me, especially at 2:00 AM Sunday morning when I'm tempted to stop for whatever reason my body and mind can tempt me with.

I worked out the details of my schedule, and I am now free next weekend.  There's no reason not to ride, so it's GAME ON for the 2nd chance 600 next week.  I must finish this to go to Paris, there really is no third chance.  Will I finish?  If I finish, then what?  I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Ride starts from Issaquah at 0500 on June 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment