Tuesday, April 21, 2015

P-9 100k ride: The ride that almost didn't happen

The P-12 ride (actually 9th in a row) that was scheduled for yesterday almost didn't happen.  I had scheduled it last week to ride the flat easy route 757 that I've done a few times to ride after work on Monday, but on Sunday afternoon, something went out in my back and I had low-back spasms and significant pain and mobility impact.  I had to sit in my lounger with an ice pack the whole afternoon and some part of the evening, and riding the next day was seriously in doubt.  I was able to sleep in the bed overnight as it had improved somewhat, and then sat in the chair again in the AM with the ice, and it was getting better and better until by noon, I felt nearly normal and was able to work at my stand-up desk with virtually no pain at all.  I tried a few "strengthen the back" exercises and was able to do them with little or no discomfort, and since the weather was just fantastic (70's, sun, and light wind) with rain forecasted the rest of the week, I REALLY wanted to get out and ride.

So I did.  Packed the bike into the van at 4:00 and headed over to the start at Peet's in Redmond in the van.  Got 1/4 mile from home and realized I had forgotten my shoes!  Glad to have not gone too far, I turned back and got them.  By the time I left the start line, I was about 15 minutes past the 4:30 "official start" but that was fine.  I bought a cookie at Peets for $1.79 (plus tax) and threw the 8 cents change into the tip jar.

I noticed my legs and butt were complaining for the first 20 minutes of the ride, which was a little disconcerting since I had just ridden to work and back last Friday.  However, they sorted themselves out and soon I was feeling just fine.

It's time to get serious about training for PBP now, so had I put on the heart rate monitor strap.  I've heard, and I think I agree, that what's important about long distance riding is maintaining an even effort, and aside from expensive power monitoring equipment, a heart rate monitor is the best way to measure effort.  

I started easy, HR in the 130's and 140's and by the time I was in Issaquah (15 km away) I was feeling good and got my Heart Rate (HR) up to about 150, and that's where it would stay the rest of the ride, give or take.  I got an apple juice for my receipt at McDonalds for $1.00 - 80 calories and some hydration.

There was not much traffic or congestion on any of the Multi-use trails, surprisingly since the weather was so perfect. Must have been the late hour, it was now 5:30 PM-ish. 

About 3 miles south of Woodinville, I was passed by a rider who had a really even pace, and let him pace me.  We were making great time, pushing along at 28 kph (a little over 17 mph) and just zipping along - and as we rounded the curve at Wilmot Gateway park I realized almost too late that I had a control at the AM/PM market!  With regrets I had to split off and head over to the market to get a receipt.  I got a single chocolate chip cookie for 49 cents, and ate it outside before continuing.

Wilmot Gateway Park:



From here, it's 22 km to the next control, the QFC at U-Village, all on multi-use trails.  just before Kenmore,  I was still feeling frisky and just powered down the trail at the same pace, reaching the QFC around 7:30 PM, 2/3 of the way through the ride now.  I bought a banana for 23 cents for my receipt.

Now it was starting to get a little cool in the shade but still comfortable.  There's a short climb on the trail out of the QFC and then a couple miles of gentle downhill grade, so I was able to keep up a 28 kph pace even this late in the ride.

Stopped at Wilmot Gateway park to put on my nylon vest against the cold and get a few sips of water before the final push to the finish.   Now it wasn't just dusk, it was getting dark. My headlight was doing its best to light the way, and it does OK as long at there aren't any other lights in the area, but it's poor at showing texture and obstacles in the road.  I believe I'll have to get some more lighting for the 400k coming up in just under 2 weeks.

One great thing about night rides is seeing the moon and stars.  Last night was no exception; the thin crescent moon was hanging in the deep blue western sky, and Venus was sitting right above it, shining brightly.  Here's someone else's picture of what it looked like as I rode south on the Sammamish River parkway:


I rolled into the Whole Foods at the finish just before 9:15 PM, and bought 4 grapes for 10 cents for my final receipt.  I had managed to approximately halve each purchase 4 times ($2.00, $1.00, 50 cents, 25 cents, 10 cents).  Yeah, it's kinda dumb but once I got going I felt the urge to finish.  

All in all, a great ride with great weather, best rolling speed ever (avg moving speed 25 kph) and I'm feeling really good about my progress.  And it's just April, still 4 more training months to the big event in August

1 comment: